Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Catching Up… Trying new food

November 5, 2011

Korean Food - Ben3jia1

Having an international circle of friends has given me an opportunity to try lots of different cuisines.  I still refuse to eat internal organs or any unidentifiable parts or anything too out there.  And I am particular about the cleanliness of the places we go.  I am still avoiding the little hole in the wall eateries along the streets, but I did buy corn on the cob from a street vendor.  Aside from these particular personal hang-ups… I really have eaten quite a few new foods.  My newest are Korean and Thai. 

First the Korean… I have pictures!!  I had lunch with some of the ladies from the summer bible study at a Korean Restaurant called Ben3jia1, which is pronounced Bon-ga 本家 in Korean.

Kye (pronounced Kay) is my Korean friend and she actually lives in a compound right across the street from ours. Her compound is all Japanese… her husband is from Taiwan, but has become a Japanese citizen.  She speaks very good English and amazing Chinese.  She picked our restaurant for the get together.

Here are a few snapshots of our lunch…


The group from left front to right… Jacqueline from Singapore, Natashia from Taiwan, Tracey from Hong Kong, and Kye from Korean.  Our food preparer was a bit camera shy and we had to coax her to stay in the picture.






I have to admit… no Kimchee for this girl.  I cannot get past the smell.  But the rest of the meal was really good.

Thai Food - Simply Thai

Now yesterday I had my first exposure to Thai food.  Oh my… I really liked that!!!  We had a Gaeng Khiaw Waan, a green curry dish with pork… wonderful!!!  It is marinated slices of pork simmered over a slow fire in a special concoction of Thai herbs, spices and curry paste.  Fresh coconut milk is added to bring out the full flavor with pumpkin and eggplant pieces bringing national sweetness to the dish.  It was perfect with the fragrant Thai rice.

And these little appetizers called Thai Samosas… simply delicious! They were like a cross between a spring roll and a wonton… but way better.  I loved the sauce which was kinda like sweet and sour but again… sooooo much better.

And we had a second entrée which was chicken with cashews and basil.  The chicken was bit of crispy fried chicken with red and green peppers, onions, cashews, basil and a sauce that was really unexpected, but wonderful. 

Sorry… forgot to take pictures… too busy enjoying the food….Yummmmm!!!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment