Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Flower Market and other things

Friday, July 1, 2011



Today, Dave, Anne and I embarked on a mission.  We were once again in search of the flower market, only this time I was armed with better instructions regarding the location.

We met at 9:30am and set off on this expedition.  I am so confident that I will find the market that I have pulled my cart, loaded with extra bags.  We are going out the front entrance to the left and going beyond Huamu Lu (wah-moo) on Dong Xi Lu (dong shue)… this is new territory for me.  I have never ventured beyond Huamu Lu.  It was enlightening… there was a small grocery store, a restaurant and several other stores along the way.  No time to stop today… we are on a mission.

Just a few short blocks (short???), we are at Pujian Lu. (poo-g-on).  Go right … there is YangGao Lu (yong-ga-ow)!  We see buildings, we see a Lotus Supermarket… WE SEE FLOWERS!!!! 

For those of you following the misery and disappointment I’ve endured on my quest to find the flower market will revel with me today!!  The market that has eluded me… today SUCCESS is my reward for perseverance!  I have found and conquered the flower market!

The flower market is a 4-5 story building overflowing with flowers and plants and who knows what else might we hiding behind the walls.  I am elated on so many levels!!  I found it.  I will be taking home some flowers.  I’m so anxious to get across the streets and into the market… I can hardly wait.

Oh my… it was everything I hoped for and so much more!  This market was like all markets I have been in so far… lots of little stores in one… only no real walls to separate the booths or stalls.  The flowers and green plants just flow for as far as the eye can see.  There are containers, after containers, of purslane, begonia, mums, daisy, hibiscus, gardenia, lantana, and all varieties in between.  Green plants of every size and shape form the back drop for color.  Orchids are everywhere… and the size and colors are amazing!  Booths of soils, pots, and every tool the average gardener could possibly need are dotted around the aisles.  This place is a gardener’s paradise!!! 

I just had to stop for a minute and take it all in!  And after the walk in the heat and humidity, it was wonderful to be inside where it was cooler and enjoy the wonderful bouquet of fragrances.  My eyes darting from one place to the next drinking it all in. 

I know this all sounds kinda crazy, but to find something that reminds you of something you love so much back home… it just brings tears to your eyes.  There is a nursery just outside of Kaufman on Hwy 175.  I pass it every time I go to and from Dallas.  It is a great nursery!!!  They have everything from shade and fruit trees and bushes to every kind of flower that is in season.  When I go there, I spend way too much time and money!  Walking into this market had the same effect on me.

We walked around, weaving through the walkways.  The upper floors had more plants, furniture and home décor, and silk plants.  Then looking out one of the doors to the outside, through a breezeway, another building was attached.  I could see some silk flowers.  It looked to be about the same size building.  No time today, but must explore next time… and there will definitely be a next time.

It was time to start figuring out what would be going home with me.  The biggest problem I was going to have is not to over buy.  There are only 3 of us to carry my purchases home.  So I decided on 5 four inch pots of purslane and 3 pots of lantana.  This would give me a start and some great colors of pinks, reds, and yellows.  I picked out 3 larger pots and a mix of potting soils.  The soils would ride in the cart, the plants and extra pots would have to ride in the bags I brought.  We were full up with the few plants I bought.  Time for the walk home and hopefully the plants will make it unscathed.

We arrived at the apartment, no worse for wear and dripping in sweat.  Yes… I sweat, not perspire!  Thanks to Dave and Anne, the plants made it home in good shape too. 

After taking a little time to recover, Anne decided to head for home.  But Dave and I were catching our second wind!  We were out the door again and headed to the metro station… We were going to Longyang Lu (long-yong) station and the Asijen Noodle place. YUM #1!!  Anne went on to the next stop and home.

I was prepared to have the vegetable noodle dish since my favorite had not been on the menu of the other places I had been lately.  Much to my delight… there was the pork noodle bowl!!!  Hot dog… my fav is on the menu!  Today just was  getting better and better.

Since we were here and Dave had asked about where he could find index cards, I would take him across the street to the B&Q (the Chinese equivalent to Home Depot) and the Metro Store (China’s equivalent to Sam’s Club).  And… the perk one gets for making the trip across the street???  A Dairy Queen just happens to be attached to the B&Q! YUM #2!!

We wondered through the B&Q so that Dave could get a sense of what he could find there.  We found these electronic flying insect killers.  They looked like tennis rackets but the netting is deadly… like a hand held bug zapper!  I gotta get one of these for Michael.  We had seen them advertised on TV and every time the ad came on, he wanted one.  So this would definitely be going home with me!  I also found a new rug for the front door.  The one that came with the apartment slides around on the floor and drives us crazy.  This one has a rubber backing that hugs the floor… just what we need and looks good too!  Oops… no bags!  So carrying the rug and the bug zapper tennis racket hanging out my backpack, we go over to the Metro Store… with one pit stop at the Dairy Queen. 

The ice cream cone tasted divine, but had to lick fast in the heat.  It was gone by the time we got to the Metro.  First thing we saw once we got in… the bug zapper tennis rackets…CHEAPER!!!  Now we know to check Metro first before buying… if they have it… probably cheaper!

I almost got through the Metro Store without spending anything, but wait; I need paper plates for the Bible Study!  Picked up 2 sizes of 100 count each… much better than the 8 count at Carrefour and way cheaper.  So I tucked the plates in the rug and we are off. 

Dave walked back across the street with me where we parted ways.  He caught a cab for Puxi and I took the subway home.  It had been an extremely fruitful day... got my flowers, had a wonderful lunch of my favorite noodle dish, scored a new rug and Michael got his overpriced bug zapping tennis racket!  All in all, I’d call it a good day!

Here is a picture of the fruits of my labor… looks like a need a lot more plants!!!  But it is a start…



At least I can enjoy them through the window of the bedroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment