Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Getting Ready to Go

Oh my.. never did I actually consider what it would take to get ready to leave for a year... and NOT take all your stuff.  I have been spinning.. not to mention they changed our leave date from March to January 3 to February 11.  It would not have been so bad, but I found out right before Thanksgiving it would be January 3.  By my calculations that is not nearly enough time to get everything together to be gone that long.  But then the new date was set and I felt an artificial sense of relief.. because I still had to get through the holidays. 

First question that came to mind... I don't speak the language there.. going to be a bit tough to do everyday things... SOoooo.. ah ha!!!  Rosetta Stone!! Yes.. that's the answer...supposed to be really easy..right!  Sure ..I can do this.. I am a college educated person.. well... let's just say... I am working on it!  And praying that once I get there it will be easier to remember all those words and phrases that I keep running back through the Level 1 trying to remember.

What I have also learned is that if you are larger than a small or medium.. they do not have clothes or most likely shoes that will fit you.  And both my husband and I are a tad bigger... to put it mildly.  So how do you know what you will need for a year and none of my fav stores ship outside the US... and if they did...ca...ching!  So in addition to Christmas shopping... I have done the internet shopping proud... pants, jeans, underclothes, shirts, sweaters... you name it... I have purchased it.  Then let's talk about the everyday essentials.. soap, shampoo, cosmetics, vitamins, prescription drugs and the other stuff you reach for in the local Ulta or WalMart or Target... What are you willing to give up?  This is a country that manufactures a very large variety of products for export to the US... but not much of our known and loved products make it there.  And if they do... big bucks to purchase.  So I am using all the coupons and discounts to buy up in advance... only to find out that there might be a limit on what I can take in... cause I might want to sell it to others!!!  No no no... not my shampoo or other precious personal creature comforts that will help me overcome the homesickness!!! I have even had to reassess my hair color... of course beneath all the wonderful blonde hair that I have sported for more years that I care to admit... is pure white.. of which needs to remain covered... it is that vanity thing you know...  Now tell me... how many blonde Chinese have you ever seen?  So... reckon the hairdressers there have much experience with blonde highlights?  My hairdresser, Melia, who has done my hair for at least 10 years, will take me to a single color of brown and has armed me with enough brown dye to last a year and keep the gray roots at bay.  My sweet husband is going learn the art of touching up roots!! Watch out world.. I may be in trouble!!!

Another thing to consider.. only a hand full of western doctors.  So make sure you have everything checked and tuned up before you go... and pray you stay well for a year.. oh and make sure you take a years worth of prescription drugs with you... not likely to find them there. So I make all these appointments for as close to leaving time as possible... nothing like staying in a dead run right up until the time to leave.  I'm counting on it paying off in the long run.

Ok.. are we having fun yet?  This has been really stressful so far.  The amount of documentation required for all the visas is a bit overwhelming.  So one by one I have a box that is filling up... we need a visa to get into the country.. then once we are there, we need work visa and residence visa.. so all that has to go with you to prove you are who you are... the days of just a passport are long gone... she says like she has done this before???  OK...ok.. it is not like a quick trip to Mexico or Canada... I know...

A facebook friend had a few books on China she lent me..  One in particular was very enlightening.  The name of it is 'Riding the Dragon'.  I read with lightening speed... realizing that I will need to watch my frank mouth. I would never  intentionally say something inappropriate.. but it outlines in an entire chapter... 'when no means yes and when yes means no'.  It is all about saving and giving face.  That one I will have to seriously work on.  It also gives lots of tips on what to take..and just about any other questions one might have on making this kind of move.  If you are curious, pick up a copy and check it out.

I guess you might be asking yourself.. what is she going to do with all those animals she talked about in the previous blog?  Well, Coco, the bird, is living in a new home with my cousin.  He loves birds and Coco is the kind of bird it is hard not to love.  She is a talker and very smart.  It was easy to tell that this was going to be a wonderful home for her... she went to him immediately ...birds know these things.  Here is the back story on the bird.  She belonged to my Mother... who raised her from a baby... and spoiled her unmercifully.  She had scrambled eggs and cereal for breakfast and mixed vegetables and fruit for dinner... or anything you were eating.  When Mom passed away in 2002, the bird adopted me.  She has been with me ever since... and by the way,she liked my husband better than me.  We know she is a she... as a year or so ago... she presented me with 3 eggs.. you can imagine my surprise!

Then there is Maggie... Maggie is a totally spoiled weiner dog that allows us to live in our house and sleep with her in our bed... recognize the type?  I am struggling with leaving her.  She is our baby.  We got her in June 2004 when she was barely weened.  We would take her, but it would be tough on her with our living in an apartment in a huge overcrowded city.  We will also be traveling to other locations in China as well as other countries along the Pacific Rim.  Dogs are a food source in China and I would be destroyed if anything happened to her.  So, for her protection, she will be staying on the ranch in Texas and living with Jennifer, our youngest daughter, and her family.  I will miss her so, but when I Skype with them, Maggie will be able to see me and hear my voice.  I am guessing she is going to be really mad at me when I get back to Texas.

And the outside animals will continue to live at my house and the kids will feed them.  Not to worry about them in cold weather.. they have heated beds and heat lamps.  They are quite well cared for.  I have had friends and family tell me they want to come back as one of my animals.

My grandkids are worried about what we will eat while we are there and where we are going to live.  I am not at all worried about where we will live, however what we will eat is another story.  No mystery meat for me... and certainly no horse, dog, cat, snake, or any other critter that God did not intend for us to eat.  I had decided it would be a great time to shed a few pounds anyway.  And I laugh that by the time I get home I may be a vegan.  Then Michael got news from someone at work that eating the veggies can be dangerous too.  You must soak fruits and vegetables for a couple of reasons.  The regulations on chemicals is not like it is in the states AND.. worms!  You must soak stuff long enough for the worms to float to the top... yuck!!!

There are western restaurants.  However I am told they are pretty pricey, so not something you could do on a nightly basis.  Besides, I would get sick of eating out all the time.

Did you know that the Chinese do not bake?  As a matter of fact, finding apartments with ovens is a rarity.  Some of the building that cater to the expats come with ovens, but you must ask for that as a requirement for your apartment hunting criteria. And if they do not bake... they do not have baking pans or spices or any of the other prereqs for baking.  I am told to bring them with me.  Oh yeah... I can see me bringing a years worth of ingredients with me... Right!  Aside from the fact that I have been told by the movers that I can not ship food.  That implies the only other option... pack it in my suitcase.. or should I suitcases.  I will add that to the other stuff that must go with us personally...like the vitamins and prescriptions ..oh and clothes enough for 6-8 weeks.  That is when with any luck our shipments will reach us and get through customs.  Did I mention that nothing leaves the US until we have a lease on an apartment and all the visas?  Well it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment