Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Our House Hunting Trip

Getting ready to leave for one week in China was worse than preparing for any vacation I have ever taken.  And I had soooo much help from my other half.  I had laughed and told friends that he would basically get in the car and ask if I was sure I had everything.. and I did not miss that prediction far.  By the time I coordinated his clothes, I had little time to pull my stuff together.  It is one of those times when you have to just roll with the flow and figure if you forgot something that you probably subconsciously did not really need it anyway.
We did test out Skype with Jennifer and the grandkids to make sure it worked for them.  The grandkids thought that was the best.  I walked around the house with the laptop showing them how I could share the views and other things I was seeing once in Shanghai.  I wanted them to understand they would be able to see our apartment and the skyline views.  We would be able to share a little bit of daily life with them up close and personal.  Austin and Wade were really loving it.  So, once we arrive in Shanghai and get settled in the hotel, we will call them via Skype.  It will be early morning in Texas. Marcy and the girls will all be on hand for our first Skype call from Shanghai.  This should be good.
At the last minute, the relocation service in Shanghai had a list of documents we need to have with us when we arrived.  When I said last minute… I am talking Thursday and we were leaving at 5:45 am Saturday morning. We scurried around and made copies of everything we could find… this is one time that Michael really did help.  He crawled up in the attic and went through boxes looking for documents we needed.  We made a valiant effort, but could not get everything.  I guess scanning and faxing will have to do once we get back home.
 We had decided that it would be easier on us if we stay with our best friends in Frisco… they are only like 20 minutes from the airport.  By the time we were packed up and everything was taken care of… we left home about 6pm…. which is the time Connie and Dean were expecting us at their house AND…. we still needed to stop and have more passport photos taken… nine more to be exact.  We needed 4 for the China health check and 5 more for the residence and work visa’s.  By the time we arrived at the Randolph’s I was completely frazzled. 
By my calculations, we needed to be up by 2am to get ready and rearrange packed stuff and get to the airport.  However, we sat up and talked until 11:30… so that meant only 2 ½ hrs until time to get up.  Can you say dragging? 
Saying goodbye to all the kids, both adult and child, was tough… and we are only going to be gone a week.  Everyone was puddled up and crying… so I can only imagine what it is going to be like when we leave in February.
Back to the story… we lug our bags and get checked in at the airport and as luck would have it.. they change our departure gate… in a different terminal.  I need coffee!!!!  That is the only way I am going to make it this morning.  We ride the Skylink to Terminal  A and what should be the first thing I see… it was like a dream… Starbuck’s!  But the gate was only half way up… but signs of life inside.  They open at 5… 15 more minutes!!!  We went to the gate and Michael stood watch with the bags as I hurried back to the Starbuck’s.  When the gate went up… I was there… first in line… victory!!!
We got to Chicago and had a couple of hours to wait… so Starbuck’s got a bit more of our money and we passed the time.  So far all is going well.  We depart DFW on time… and now we are departing Chicago on time.. what could be better… knowing that we are traveling in business class on a 777 aircraft.  This is 14 hours in the air… and we are in a sweet plane.  These seats are the kind that lay out into a bed with personal movies and tv… and they have been shoving food and drink at us since we boarded.  This is definitely the way to ride for a looooong plane ride.  Each seat is outfitted with plastic wrapped pillow and quilt, your own personal amenities pack.  Now that was great.. socks, sleep mask, dental products, wet wipes and tissues and a tube of Burt’s Beeswax lip balm and lotion.  Did I say this was sweet… or what?
I am sitting here typing this in Word so that when I get to an internet connection I can post it.  I have now read, watched 2 new release movies, slept and eaten… I needed something else to pass the time, so I write while the memories are fresh. 
The flight attendants have been so wonderful… I had quite a nice chat about what to see and expect in Shanghai.  She does this route and I look forward to catching her on our return flight.  The more I find out about what it is like in Shanghai, the more my anxieties are calmed.  In about 5 more hours I will begin to see for myself.  We are expected to arrive on Sunday at 2:53pm… that is still 5 hours from now… maybe it is time for another nap.  Remember when you fell asleep traveling as a child and the time passed more quickly.. I am really counting on that now!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Wade's grandmaw!! So nice to meet you and read about your adventures! I am Wade's teacher and I just think the world of your daughters and their kiddos!! Precious families!!I can't wait to hear more from Wade and your blog! Praying for you!

    Blessings~
    Brandi Hanes

    ReplyDelete