Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Everyday Things

September 15, 2011

The days are so hot and muggy… I sweat just thinking about going outside, but here in Shanghai… that is inevitable if you want to do anything.  Whether I use a taxi … I walk to the front gates… or the subway, which is about a brisk 10 minute walk… or walk the whole way.  Stepping into the garage and getting into an auto to head out anywhere doesn’t happen for me here. 

Take yesterday for instance… I was going to the Shanghai Community Center for a meeting with the Ladies Outreach Group from Church… it is called ‘The Vines’.  It is a little more than half way between home and the JinQiao Carrefour.  So I thought I would cab it to the SCC, and then I would walk to the Carrefour for groceries.  The meeting was excellent and I enjoyed the fellowship immensely.  I ran into two of the ladies from summer bible study too, Janet and Natasha.  

When it was over, Janet needed to go to the store as well, so off we went.  When we got to the street, another lady, Amy, from the meeting was going our way too, so off all three of us went.  We stopped by Janet’s for a shopping bag and by the time we got there which was only about 3 Shanghai blocks, I was dripping wet.  My hair was up off my neck, but the little strays were in ringlets.  And the sad part is we were less than half way to the grocery!!! 

Thankfully, the walk from Janet’s was pretty shady with mature trees, but it is still muggy.  The one thing I have noticed here… the stores in and around the grocery are really just slightly cool... better than outside, but not enough to dry out.  

Since I had had no lunch, I was starving, but still a bit fearful of eating much with the tummy problems.  I thought maybe a bread something might be good… QBake would have something nice… not too sweet, but tasty.  And I was not to be disappointed.  I selected a roll with raisins and sliced almonds.  It was soooo fresh and tender… just what I needed!  It did not last long, but would tide me over.

Time to hit the madness of Carrefour… and it did not disappoint either.  I still marvel at the number of people that wander around in the middle of the day in their pajamas!!!  And it is perfectly ok!  Today this woman had gone beyond; she had bedazzled her PJ’s with sparkles!  But sadly… the little action figures with the sparkly rhinestones just were not working for her!

I tried my best to rush through the store… but they just won’t let you!! When I finally got to the produce section, it only gets worse.  There are only 2 women with scales to weigh and price your produce and it is not necessarily first come first serve.  It is who can push hardest and reach farthest to plop down your stuff on the scales! Being polite and waiting your turn is not how it works here.  And if you get to the main checkout without the sticker on a bag… they won’t check it!  First lesson learned the hard way!!

OK… I am checked out and groceries careful stowed in my 2 wheel shopping bag, and 3 regular shopping bags and a 12 pack of bottled water!  Time to roll down to the taxi line…  I get down to the line… most of the time the driver will get out and help you get your stuff in the trunk, particularly when I am by myself as I was today.  But nooooo, this guy sat in the car in the A/C and popped the trunk!  He watched, somewhat aggravated that it was taking me so long to shelp the stuff from the grocery cart to the trunk, one bag at a time. 

Then on the way home… my life flashed before my eyes as both my driver and the car coming toward us wanting to make a left turn…simultaneously decided to run the yellow light.  With my heart in my throat,,, all I could manage to eek out were random sounds of distress!  Once the near collision was past… ‘thank you Jesus’ was all I could manage. 

When we finally got in front of my entrance… he parked to the far side and again,,, popped the trunk and waited.  OH WAIT!!! He noticed I was again shelping one bag at a time to the steps and actually pulled up and backed closer to the steps, but never got out!!!  

Once I got all my groceries but up, I knew this was going to be a Papa John’s night.  I was hot… and tired… and sweaty and knew was not in the mood to stand in a hot kitchen to cook.  Thank the Lord Michael is easy to please when it comes to food.

Oh well…Just another ‘head shakin ‘ day in Shanghai!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment