Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shopping Day in KL

Friday, April, 29, 2011

Today I planned to set out on foot to find things to buy for the grandkids from Kuala Lumpur.  And it would be a purpose for exploring.  Not that I needed a reason to go exploring, but I like have a destination in mind regardless of whether I know exactly where that is in the beginning.  Actually, Val had told me about a couple of other malls that were not too far away that have a much more reasonable price point.  At the Pavilion, although wonderful food abounds at a reasonable price, the merchandise is all high end stuff.  So I figured if I wandered long enough, I would eventually find at least one of them.

I set out on my mission… first stop lunch in my favorite place… the Pavilion basement.  I was eager to try some more of the foreign food offered there.  I decided on a cross between Malay and Chinese food at a place call ‘The Wok’.  I got my Black Pepper Rice and chicken… then to the drink station for a 7-up.  Now to find a place to sit… it was packed.  I finally found a place all the way on the other end from where I purchased my food.  Yuuummm…. It was soooo gooooodd!  The food has been so lovely here.  I cannot tell you how wonderful that is.  If the food is not Chinese in Shanghai, it usually does not taste like what you would expect.  Don’t get me wrong, there is good food here… it just does not taste like you think is would if you were back home.  The food in Malaysia tastes like back home.

Anyway I digress… I finished my lunch and was off.  I wandered through many streets and stores.  I had clearly found myself in an older part of the city.  Both sides of the street are lined by snall local shops and restaurants… nothing high end here.  It is a simple place where all the people are happy… all the time.  Everyone seems to be in a good mood here… friendly to everyone.

Not sure where I was… I decided to go right … if I did nothing but go in a circle I was sure I would eventually find my way to something that was familiar.  I know at this point it sounds like I am lost… but I am not lost because I can catch a taxi and tell them… in English… “Crowne Plaza, City Center please”… and they will know exactly where I want to go.  I love this city!!!  They understand me… ahhhh!  It is the little things.

But my strategy has paid off… I made the corner and looked down the street.  About half way down the block, it’s a shopping mecca.  The biggest challenge for me now is getting across this busy street.  I saw a break in the traffic and made a run for it with a couple of other people in the same dilemma as me.  It was worth the risk because as I entered it was stall after stall of ‘STUFF’!  You name it and it would be found in the 8 floors filled with a maze of halls.  Each promised something new to browse through.

I cannot tell you what I bought because the kids read this and I do not want to spoil anything for them.  But I can tell you one thing I found.  Actually my nose was the first to catch a whiff… Famous Amos cookies!  They were being baked on the premises and the smell was nothing short of heavenly.  There is something about that unmistakable smell of the sweet aroma of chocolate chip cookies.  Not being able to resist, I bought 200 grams worth of the little bite size chocolate chip with macadamia nuts.  I knew Michael would be elated by this particular purchase.  We had not had fresh baked cookies since leaving home. 

I wandered around until about 4pm and then emerged to the light of day and the street.  Still not quite sure where I was, I just followed my nose.  And much to my surprise, I finally got to something I recognized.  From that point I was good to go.  I walked with confidence down the street and to the back side of the Pavilion and to the hotel.

Michael and I would be having dinner with Val and Mark tonight.  We had originally planned to go to Suzy’s Corner for what was supposed to be the best and cheapest steak in KL, but it was Friday night and the place was a good distance away.  We opted instead on a Mediterranean place in the Pavilion called Athena.  This mall has 3 levels that are basically nothing but food.  The 6th floor was all the fine dining; the 3rd floor was mid-range eats and the basement which I have already told you about… the cheap places. 
Prince William and Katherine are to wed today.  I settled in to watch the wedding until time to leave for dinner.  She was certainly a beautiful bride.  It is hard not to get caught up in all the fanfare of a Royal Wedding.  The ceremony was over as we had to leave for Val and Mark’s hotel.  In the lobby there the TV was tuned into the wedding too.  Every place we passed on the way was also tuned into the festivities of the wedding.  And then to the restaurant… there were two TV’s there… and you guessed it… tuned into the Royal Wedding ceremonies.  What a fairy tale ending to a 9 year romance… I wish them well.

Yet again, the food was not a disappointment.  I had tenderloin with a mushroom sauce that was excellent.  We all thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the company.  There is something so satisfying when you have great food with great people.

The waiter did the honors and snapped this for us.

This fountain changes colors every few minutes.  It is just outside the Pavilion Mall. 

We decided to take a walk down the street to visit some of the places Val and Mark had discovered that are KL at night. 

This is a city that never sleeps.  There seems to be something going on all the time. 

The people were so thick you could hardly get through the crowd.  Food of every variety was everywhere you turned. 

Plotting our next move!!

More street scenes… see all the food signs!

Everything is hopping!!  All the electronic billboards!

That is the monorail above the cars.

Vendors selling everything you can imagine that your kids will love and you will think is junk!

 
One of the many fine 5 * hotels in the City Center!
We make the walk back to the hotels and bid Val and Mark safe travels as they fly home to Melbourne tomorrow.  It has been so wonderful to have met these lovely people.  We plan to get together when we do our trip to Australia with Connie and Dean in November.  I look forward to it!!!
It has been yet another great day in Malaysia…

No comments:

Post a Comment