Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

Monday, June 27, 2011

China: Day 10 – Rain and the Market

Wednesday, June 15, 2011



The rain has been unmerciful.  It is pouring again today.  The plan had been to go to Qibao, the ancient town in Hongkou district, but it would be walking in the rain the entire day or most of the day.  It just would not be a fun day for anyone, so we opted to stay in and do more laundry.  We would just go to the underground market at the metro.  They had really gotten a kick out of the Yuyuan market, so this should be fun for them as well.  There were a few more things they wanted to buy to take back home and the girls were really after a designer fake purse!!!

So for a vast majority of the day, we just rested up and kept the washer going.  It was crazy the number of towels and they needed some clothes washed.  With the rain and humidity, the clothes hanging on the line were not getting dry.  And as we all remember (or not) I only have one plug outside so I can wash… or I can dry… just not at the same time.  It was today I had wished I had an I-E.  I know that is not the correct spelling but it is what they are called… an I-E or housekeeper.  They could have kept the house in order when we have been gone and the laundry.  I would not be sticking to the floor right now… but alas… the only housekeeper here is me!  Oh well… it is what it is!

Anyway… we all got ready and headed to the ‘the market’!  We looked like a tour meandering through the halls gazing into each shop and stopping when something caught an eye.  The shops carry very similar merchandise… such as if they carry purses and luggage, they all carry overlapping items.  So bargaining can be pretty easy because there is another on the next hall or even right down from this shop.

The kids loved my bargaining abilities.  It is just that I have had a bit more practice.  But I love that they think that!  Marcy and Bailey caught on really quickly and got hard-nosed about it fast.  You just have to stick to your convictions… set a price and do not move.  They will eventually relent or you move on.  Never fall in love with anything… you must to be able to walk away.

Jennifer was the first to find the purse she wanted… it was a ‘Jimmy Choo’!  They had it priced at like 2800 RMB…. Outrageous!  So I said 200 RMB… and the bargaining games began!   Bailey had found a purse she liked too, so we had much better bargaining power now with 2 purses…. I decided 300 RMB each was all we should pay!  The woman would quote a price and I would say 300 RMB each (about 45 USD each).  This went on for about 15 minutes and she would look at Jennifer for help and Jennifer would just point at me… finally we won the day and for 600 RMB total… Jennifer and Bailey had their fabulous designer fakes!!!

That set the pace and off we went.  Everyone was getting into the bargaining mode.  Bailey would crack me up… “Do you want to sell it or what?”  She was into it.  After a while I needed to start some dinner and was tired, so Brooklyn and I headed home.  The rest of them knew the way home so I left them to enjoy the hunt and the bargaining.

Even though we did not make it to Qibao, they all still had a fun day… out of the rain!

Miscellaneous Photos:  We had shared all the photos that had been taken between Chris and I.  Kendall and Bailey had taken snaps with their cameras as well.  I had not really looked much at those until I began catching up on the blog.  It struck me as I began to look at what they had taken… there are a lot of photos just here around the apartment… catching us not paying attention or posing.  While Chris and I captured all the big times of the trip… they had quietly captured all the family time.  Here are a few of the moments they thought were important.










She loved that I had all their pictures here… moments in their lives and the ranch.  I look at these pictures all the time… it helps me to not be so homesick.






Through the eyes of the children… I miss them so much.  I was told on numerous occasions during this visit, I should come home…now!  I think about that all the time.  We have made a commitment here and will see it through, but the things this experience has taught me: never take anything for granted … not family or friends…not the little smiles in life… not to overlook the littlest of things.  We live such a blessed life and I thank God every day for those blessings.








No comments:

Post a Comment